The best way to prevent oral problems such as caries, halitosis, tartar, gingivitis or periodontal disease is with good oral hygiene and regular visits to the dentist. It is also important to control the intake of foods rich in sugar or with high cariogenic potential.
- It should be done right after every meal or drink, especially sugary and carbonated drinks, sweets or snacks, or any other food. The most important brushing is that of the last meal before going to sleep.
- Brushing with excessive force or with very hard bristles can lead to early wear of the enamel, so the ideal is between 2 and 3 brushings per day and to use appropriate toothbrushes with medium-hard bristles. Always go to your trusted dentist. At Clínica Dental Caballero de Rodas we will tell you which toothbrush is best suited to your particular needs.
- You should also brush the inside of the cheeks, tongue, palate and gums.
- Healthy gums do not bleed when brushing. If bleeding is evident with normal brushing, see your dentist. It may be a sign that you need a more thorough professional cleaning.
It is also recommended to clean the space between the teeth at least once a day, using a different part of the floss for each space.
- Rinsing with a mouthwash may be advisable, especially in case of gingivitis.
- Chlorhexidine mouthwashes seem to have an important antibacterial activity. Ideally, they should always be prescribed by a professional.
- Always make sure that mouthwashes do not contain alcohol. The abuse of these have an impact on a greater probability of contracting oral cancer.